FRIDAY, AUGUST 26, 2005
I finally finished migrating everything from one server to another. I had to recreate everything: Active Directory, DNS, IIS, Exchange, User data, etc. And I had to do it without the specialists knowing about it (not a secret, just seamless).
This was not a copy, this was a total reconstruction on a different server, I then copied the pieces from the old server to the new one (like the "shared" drives and the "users'" drives). I came in at 6AM yesterday and got half the computers on the new domain (I had to stop working on that at 8:30 when everyone arrived). Then Wayne and I came in today at 6 and copied Exchange over. It went pretty seamless, except we have an employee that needs to access Exchange from outside the firewall, I had a solution on the old server, but it involves registry editing and I didn't document... shock! we don't have time to document anything here :(
All of this because Exchange would not except a new domain. We bought a company and needed to accept email for it. It is a very straightforward process to add a new domain, just add a Recipient Policy and make sure you have AD set up. Well, I added the recipient policy and Exchange pretended like it didn't know what I was doing... so my solution was to just make our backup server a full fledge DC and migrate everything.
Posted by Chet at 1:31 PM
Post a Comment
Feel Free To Share Your Thoughts
You can use [b], [u], [i], and [url]
More About Me
Philosophy for Understanding Theology
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Settlers of Catan
Misc Arduino projects